Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cathy

Hello friends,
I must apologize for the extreme delay in writing. A few months ago, I was punched in the stomach by a terrible, untimely tragedy. My dear friend of over ten years, Catharine Limb, passed away as a result of a blood clot. This sudden blow shook me in a way that I didn't expect, and I became emotionally and mentally blocked for a time. I was completely uninspired to write, and it's taken me months to climb out of the gloomy stupor that I was in. 

Cathy absolutely loved volunteering for The Sundance Film Festival here in Utah each year. She flew in this year as usual in early January from California. While walking the streets of chilly Park City, UT one day, Cathy slipped on some ice and broke her ankle. Ever the positive little spirit, she didn't let this dampen her mood. She continued to enjoy the festival and do her best to volunteer and have a great time. I got to see her for just a brief visit, but it was lovely.

After flying home, Cathy began to feel unwell. She thought that she might be coming down with pneumonia, as her chest hurt a bit and she was having trouble taking deep breaths. She decided the best thing to do was to go straight to the ER. Upon arriving at the hospital, she was shocked to learn that she was in fact suffering from a blood clot that had traveled from her broken ankle to her lungs. She was told that had she waited any longer, she would have been dead. Feeling grateful to be alive, Cathy posted on Facebook that night that she was happy to be alive. She said that she'd have to stay in the hospital for a few days, but that all would be well. It was quite a shock for all in Cathy's life to learn that just a few hours after she wrote this, Cathy stopped breathing, and her doctors were unable to revive her. 

Any death is hard to comprehend. Losing a special person in your life is probably the most painful thing that we as humans will have to endure. Losing Cathy, however, felt especially painful because of the life she led and the type of person she was. Anyone who has ever met or known Cathy will tell you that she did not have a mean hair on her head. She was the most giving, loving, thoughtful, selfless person that I have known....and trust me, I've known some amazing people! Cathy was like a little ball of sunshine bouncing around this planet. I could write pages and pages about the extraordinary ways she chose to live her life, but I will be concise and just stick to some highlights-- Cathy had a passion for animals, and lived a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. She was just accepted into a program to go work with endangered elephants. She volunteered regularly at Rape Crisis Centers. She donated her money, time and energy to those who had less than she. Cathy gave and gave and gave, and took very little in return. She laughed easily, loved unconditionally, and was a friend to all whom she met. 

I was humbled to be asked to give a eulogy at a special memorial service for Cathy. So many wonderful people had so many wonderful things to say about her as well. She was truly a gift to this planet, and the sun will shine a little less bright without her here. I cannot presume to understand why good people die in the prime of their lives, but I have to believe that Cathy had done what was needed of her here, and her beautiful light was needed elsewhere. I'm sure that wherever she is, people are smiling. 

A couple of weeks before Cathy passed away, she posted the following message on Facebook: 

"I'm so in love with life right now." 

It gives me comfort to know that she was so happy in her final days. In my eulogy, I quoted the singer Adele, one of Cathy's favorite artists. These lines rang true to the time we spent together as friends and roommates. We were 19 years old, in college, experiencing life to the fullest for the very first time. We went on so many adventures and had so many amazing journeys together. They truly were our glory days:

"You know how the time flies
Only yesterday was the time of our lives.
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise
Of our glory days

Nevermind I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I begged
I remember, you said
Sometimes it lasts in love
But sometimes it hurts instead."

Cathy girl, you will forever be loved and missed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment